Re: Robin Milner Space and Motion of Communicating Agents

Thanks for such comprehensive responses.

I have started reading the TLA HyperBook. Thanks for making such a clear text available.
When I have read that I'll be able to respond more clearly.

My interest is more in understanding systems than concurrency on its own.
I work in a business day to day, and struggle to explain the simplicity and complexity of the business to each person within it.

I started my reading with Jay Forrester's papers on System Dynamics.
I then read John Sterman's Business Dynamics.
However, Sterman ends by suggesting that agent based modelling is a new and important way of understanding Systems.
I also consider Chris Argyris as very important in systems thinking.
All of them emphasise the importance of making mental models explicit, and testable against past data.
I completely agree with what I have read so far in the TLA HyperText book on the importance of specifications.

Milner made me wonder whether there is a new way of understanding communicating agents, but as I have said I find his work very hard to understand.

I will continue to look for ways to find a tutor or course I can take which helps me understand.

In response to your points above about the intersection of programming languages and specifications, I agree that the first purpose of writing a program is for humans to read and secondly for computers to execute. (SICP https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/front/node3.html)

One of the books on my list to complete is The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming.

The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming

I found the notion of types very interesting, and the use of Haskell to check types to be important.
I take your point that a Haskell program may not be very easy to read.

I just want to find a more firm foundation for understanding systems and communicating agents.

thanks again,

Frank