Re: [tlaplus] specifying systems book, Figure 3.1 -- bug? -- seems impossible to receive in AsyncInterface

I don't understand your argument.

As you have observed, the Rcv action is not enabled in the initial state because ack = rdy. But the Send action is enabled, and it will flip the rdy bit. This will in turn enable the Rcv action (and in fact disable Send).

This disproves your claim that the receive action can never occur. In fact, the specification forces Send and Rcv to alternate (with stuttering transitions occurring in between). The specification does not assert that the Init always holds: formula Spec asserts that Init holds initially and that every non-stuttering transition satisfies Next. Perhaps you have been confused by the meaning of the "always" operator of temporal logic?

Regards,
Stephan