Re: How to define a partial function and add an element to a set of functions in TLA+?

Now, I understand that I should use \in instead of \subseteq in TypeOK. Declaring a Null value will solve my question, but I still feel a little bit strange.

In Z, we often use partial functions and define an "Add" function to add new elements. But it looks like we should use total functions and update values in functions in TLA+.

在 2018年1月16日星期二 UTC-5下午4:20:14,Andrew Helwer写道:
You are correct that functions can be represented as sets of tuples, but in TLA+ they are instead represented as a record. The two representations are equivalent. Use this syntax to define f on a new input value:

Add(a, b) == f' = [f EXCEPT ![a] = b]

Unfortunately, this makes your TypeOK a bit weird - your function f does not start off as a member of the set [A -> B]. You should define a Null value as follows:

Null == CHOOSE b : b \notin B

TypeOK == f \in [A -> B \cup {Null}]

Init == f = [a \in A |-> Null]