[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] Re: Modeling optional values - from a newbie

Correction: that should have been "a TLC model" rather than "a TLA model".

L.

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 6:13:10 PM UTC-7 Leslie Lamport wrote:
The mathematical way to define None to be a value that is not a natural number is:

None == CHOOSE n : n \notin Nat

I believe that if you then create a TLA model for the spec, that model will substitute for None what is called a model value that TLC considers to be unequal to any value other than None.

Leslie

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 5:37:19 PM UTC-7 brandon...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Some languages have optional data types (Scala's Option, Java's Optional, Haskell's Maybe, etc), the purpose of which is to obviate the need for null values. As a union type, it can be expressed like:

Option a = Some a | None

(so an Option of a type a is either a Some of a or it is None.

I was trying to think of a good way to do this in an untyped, set-theoretic setting, while trying to avoid accidental equivalence with other values, and came up with something a bit convoluted and arbitrary:

None == {{"a", {"fairly unique", {"id:", {"69a86178-6aba-445b-a74b-6769ff09cc29"}}}}}
some(x) == [some: x]
NatOption[x \in Nat] == [some: x] \union {None}

This seemed to cause errors in my relatively small, nascent spec once I ran TLC. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to get a line # for the error:

The exception was a java.lang.RuntimeException
: Attempted to compare the set {"69a86178-6aba-445b-a74b-6769ff09cc29"} with the value:
"id:"

I can try to come up with a a minimal example to reproduce, but maybe it is better to ask how others would model optional values (and types)?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/d90e89e5-96b3-4f79-9e4d-33a3a01ee1ban%40googlegroups.com.