Re: [tlaplus] How does TLC functions work under the hood?

Hello Markus,

Thank you for the pointers! I'll follow through and try to understand what is going on.

Cheers
Victor

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 12:25:35 AM UTC+2 Markus Alexander Kuppe wrote:

On 8/13/21 6:12 AM, Victor Miraldo wrote:
> I have some TLA+ spec that makes heavy use of functions and TLC takes a
> long time (minutes) to check that even the simplest property, i.e.,
> `[](FALSE)`, doesn't hold. This made me question how TLC handles
> functions, but I can't find information elsewhere.
>
> When I write [ x \in TypeX |-> f(x) ], is TLC generating all elements in
> `TypeX` then computing their image under `f` or does it wait until its
> called with an argument `m` to compute its image under `f`?
>
> Is there a way to make TLA+ lazy, preventing it from ever generating
> `TypeX` in its entirety? Unfortunately we have some very large `TypeX`s
> in our generated code, such as the type of functions that receive lists
> and return lists.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't use operators here because these need to be
> passed as arguments to mutually recursive operators.

Hi Victor,

I'd suggest to debug TLC [1] (look for tlc2.value.impl.FcnRcdValue), but
the Toolbox's profiler [1] might be good enough to find out what is
going on. Also, the TLA+ debugger [3] could help you introspect.

Btw. for "very large sets", TLC usually errors with:

Evaluating assumption line ... module ... failed.
Attempted to construct a set with too many elements (>1000000).

Since doesn't error out on you, you should ensure you're not chasing a
red herring.

M.

[1] https://github.com/tlaplus/tlaplus/tree/master/general/ide
[2] https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlatoolbox/doc/model/profiling.html