Re: [tlaplus] Lecture 9, part 1, Alternating-Bit Protocol

Brian,

Stephan and Leslie certainly gave much better answers than I. The right way to think about an action is as a predicate on pairs of states. I, personally, find it helpful to think of disjunctions in action expressions as a nondeterministic choice (like that from process calculi), but this is only a heuristic. I should've been more clear about that. My apologies.

TLC uses a short-circuited semantics for boolean expressions which you can verify yourself by evaluating expressions like:

  /\ FALSE
  /\ PrintT("this will not be displayed")

and

  \/ TRUE
  \/ PrintT("this will not be displayed")

Thanks for the great questions and starting a nice discussion.

Best,

Isaac DeFrain