Re: [tlaplus] Could it be possible to check the variable starting alphabet

Your original request was to be able to check if a string starts with
`A' and ends with 'a'.  I believe this is done in TLA+ by the
following operator:

   StartsWith_A_andEndsWith_a(s) ==
     /\ Len(s) > 0
     /\ s[1] = "A"[1]
     /\ s[Len(s)] = "a"[1]

However, I'm not sure because TLC cannot evaluate this, and I suspect
TLAPS can't handle it either, though I haven't tried.  TLC can handle
the following definition, and a few tests confirm that it is the
operator you wanted:

   StartsWith_A_andEndsWith_a(s) ==
      LET sx == s \o "x"
      IN  /\ SubSeq(sx, 1, 1) = "A"
          /\ SubSeq(sx, Len(s), Len(s)) = "a"

There are lots of TLA+ expressions that TLC can't evaluate.  For
example, consider this definition:

   TheSetOfAllPrimes ==
      LET IsAPrime(n) == ...
      IN  {n \in Nat : IsAPrime(n)}

If IsAPrime is properly defined, TLC could evaluate the _expression_

   42 \in TheSetOfAllPrimes

However, it can't evaluate

    {2*n : n \in Nat} \intersect TheSetOfAllPrimes

It would be hard to extend TLC to be able to evaluate this _expression_.
It would not be hard to extend it to handle the first definition of
StartsWith_A_andEndsWith_a.  However, there are many other things that
seem to be more important for us to do.

Whether TLA+ is the best language for you to use depends on what you
want to do.  If you want to check the correctness of a concurrent system
and you want to use a little bit of string manipulation in your spec,
it probably is.  If you want to do something that requires complicated
string processing, it probably isn't.

Leslie