Re: [tlaplus] Meta-theorem (induction lemma) in TLA+

By the way, is there any way to declare a formula including variables by "NEW <something> Invariant"?

For introducing new identifiers in assumptions you can write

NEW [ CONSTANT | STATE | VARIABLE | ACTION | TEMPORAL ] <id>

and if you don't specify a level, it defaults to CONSTANT. For a state-level formula such as an invariant, you want to write

NEW STATE Inv

Regards,
Stephan

2019年7月29日月曜日 15時52分56秒 UTC+9 Stephan Merz:
Hello,

for a lemma involving temporal operators to be useful, its hypotheses should be "boxed", i.e. occur in the scope of an always operator. For example, you could state

LEMMA BoxImplies ==
  ASSUME NEW TEMPORAL F, NEW TEMPORAL G,
  PROVE  []G

and then use this lemma somewhere in a proof about temporal properties. For details, please see section 8.3 of [1]. In practice, we never state lemmas of (propositional) temporal logic because the PTL decision procedure proves them automatically.

Also note that your proof only goes through only because "NEW Invariant" implicitly means "NEW CONSTANT Invariant", hence the formula Invariant' in steps <1>2 and <1>3 gets rewritten to Invariant, and these steps are therefore tautologies. It is certainly not what you had in mind.

Regards,
Stephan

[1] http://lamport.azurewebsites.net/tla/tla2-guide.pdf