Re: TLA Toolbox: installation problem

This is an old question, but I struggled with the same issue and did resolve it eventually.
I'm running macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.5 (16F73).

== Here is the sequence of events, which I hope will be helpful:
After downloading the TLA+ toolkit, moving the app to the Applications folder using Finder, and double clicking on the TLA+ Toolbox.app icon I received an Apple alert saying that Java needed to be installed. Clicking on the learn more button took me to Apple's site where it directed me to install the legacy version of Java, which I did.
Then clicking on the TLA+ Toolbox.app icon brought up the TLA+ splash screen which was quickly replaced with the "An error has occurred" dialog box. Looking at the error log file showed that the Java version was 1.6 which I assume was the issue since the documentation states 1.8 is required for the toolkit.
I installed the JRE (jre-8u131-macosx-x64.dmg) and tried again, but the error still reported v1.6 was being used.
Next I installed the JDK (jdk-8u131-macosx-x64.dmg) and was able to launch the toolkit.

In the end I imagine I could have just installed the JDK from the start and all would have been fine. I was hoping to *not* have to install ~500MB of Java tools to run the app, but that's what it took.

- Tim