[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] Re: Deadlock reach without invocation of main actions.

As pointed out in the previous reply, the conjunction AddWaiter(tx, tuple) /\ PromoteWaiter(tuple) can never be true:
AddWaiter adds an element to tupleWaiters whereas PromoteWaiter implies RemoveWaiter, which makes an
incompatible change to the same variable. Moreover, the first disjunct of the new version of LockAcquire does
not define values for all state variables in the successor state.

There are more problems with this spec, for example Sort(set) may always yield {}, which is probably not what
you intend.

On Friday, April 19, 2024 at 8:49:02 AM UTC+2 tungnguy...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi! Thank you for your answer and clarification!

I have modified the LockAcquire action so that it will directly add tx to the tupleWaiters[tuple] if the waitlist is empty:

LockAcquire(tx, req, tuple) ==
\/ /\ tupleWaiters[tuple] = {}
/\ AddWaiter(tx, tuple)
\/ /\ tupleWaiters[tuple] # {}
/\ \A tx1 \in tupleOwners[tuple]:
/\ HasConflict(req,txRequest[tx1])
/\ (tx < tx1)
/\ SetAbort(tx1)
/\ UNCHANGED <<txActive, txRequest, tupleOwners, tupleWaiters>>
/\ AddWaiter(tx, tuple)
/\ PromoteWaiter(tuple)

The deadlock situation has disappeared and it ran successfully. However, when I checked the traces, only the LockAcquire action was invoked and there was no LockReLease. Even when I used the FairSpec with week fairness. Can you kindly let me know why did this behavior happen?

Best regards,
Tung Nguyen

On Friday, April 19, 2024 at 3:19:18 PM UTC+9 idivyans...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
There are problems in how atomic actions are defined in spec.

Take for example

LockAcquire(tx, req, tuple) ==
    /\  \A tx1 \in tupleOwners[tuple]:
        /\ HasConflict(req,txRequest[tx1])
        /\ (tx < tx1)
        /\ SetAbort(tx1)
        /\ UNCHANGED <<txActive, txRequest, tupleOwners, tupleWaiters>>
    /\ AddWaiter(tx, tuple)
    /\ PromoteWaiter(tuple)

AddWaiter and PromoteWaiter should be different actions. From initial state
it is not possible to get an execution trace which satisfies LockAcquire action.
AddWaiter says that in the next state `tx` will be added in waiters of `tuple` but
PromoteWaiter expects that `tx` is in waiters of `tuple` in current state by usage of
tx = Min(tupleWaiters[tuple]). 

Correction : But there is no transaction to promote as tupleWaiters[tuple] is empty.  PromoteWaiter
is evaluates to FALSE for any state transition (s, s') where s is initial state. Hence  it is deadlock

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/41c394dc-9c93-4e8c-85a0-c0c270bfa278n%40googlegroups.com.