[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] Macros don't compose with the parallel assignment operator

I think the problem here is that send is assigning to queue, so send || send assigns to queue twice (which isn't valid PlusCal). Also the snippet here isn't sending two messages, it's clobbering the first message. Did you instead mean this?

macro send(channel, msg) {    
    queue[channel] := Append(queue[channel], msg)
}

If so you'd have the same problem; you can't assign to queue twice. But now you could do something like this:

macro send(f) {
    queue := [ch \in DOMAIN f |-> Append(queue[ch], f[ch])] @@ queue;
}

Then write the process as send(ch1 :> "hello" @@ ch2 :> "hi").

H

On 11/6/2023 5:33 PM, J.D. Meadows wrote:
I've defined this helper macro in my PlusCal (C-syntax) algorithm:

macro send(channel, msg) {    
    queue := Append(channel, msg)
}

In my initial step inside my processes I need to send two messages. But for now I want to send both atomically, without introducing additional labels. I thought of using the '||' operator, and thus I didn't add a semicolon in the sentence inside the macro, so that I could do this:

process (id \in {1,2,3}) {
    begin:  send(ch1, "hello") ||
            send(ch2, "hi");

loop:   while(TRUE){                
                skip;
            }        
}

But the translator complains saying that a ';' should go instead of the '||'.
But if I do that then the translator gives an error saying that I should put a label inside the macro. Which of course it is forbidden, as macros can't contain labels. 
After losing a lot of time on this circular parsing error I realised that what the translator wants is that I put a label on the second send. But that has implications. I want to compose both assignments, which is totally possible in non-macro code. Eg.:

x := 1 || y := 2;

What I really need is a simple "text replacement" macro previous to the PlusCal to TLA+ translation. I don't even need multi-line macros for this project, just something like C's defines, or aliases in other programming languages.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/7071d762-b363-45de-8b20-ab20c8edc228n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/b213f230-9058-41b1-9550-2f783d56abf7%40gmail.com.