[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] Why vars is defined as tuples instead of set

Thank you very much Hillel. That toy model example makes sense why ordering matters.

Regards,
Zitro

On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 9:16:59 PM UTC-7 Hillel Wayne wrote:

Hi Chris,

Here's a quick toy model:

VARIABLES x, y

Swap ==
  /\ x' = y
  /\ y' = x

If vars == {x, y}, then after Swap we have vars' = {x', y'} = {y, x}. Since sets are unordered, we have vars' = vars, or UNCHANGED vars. But clearly the state of the system changed!

With vars == <<x, y>>, after Swap we have vars' = <<y, x>>. Since order matters in sequences, vars' # vars and we get the expected behavior.

H

On 10/24/2023 6:16 PM, Chris Ortiz wrote:
Hi tlaplus group,

I am just curious with the convention why vars is defined as tuples of variables for UNCHANGED, <<A>>_vars, [A]_vars, [][Next]_vars, WF_vars and SF_vars. My understanding is that tuples preserved ordering of elements. Maybe I am still confused or still having a hang over with Programming Language, but I like to understand why tuple is the selected convention for such variables for those semantics, instead of set. Sometimes it confused me to make sure I follow the ordering from how I defined them in vars up to the way I removed variables in my UNCHANGED _expression_.

Thanks,
Zitro
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+u...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/8c448736-b5e8-4855-a094-3c80ad617a94n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/fe088cc4-ee02-425b-a58a-741b6d0736cfn%40googlegroups.com.