Re: [tlaplus] Why vars is defined as tuples instead of set

Thank you very much Hillel. That toy model example makes sense why ordering matters.

Regards,
Zitro

On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 9:16:59 PM UTC-7 Hillel Wayne wrote:

Hi Chris,

Here's a quick toy model:

VARIABLES x, y

Swap ==
  /\ x' = y
  /\ y' = x

If vars == {x, y}, then after Swap we have vars' = {x', y'} = {y, x}. Since sets are unordered, we have vars' = vars, or UNCHANGED vars. But clearly the state of the system changed!

With vars == <<x, y>>, after Swap we have vars' = <<y, x>>. Since order matters in sequences, vars' # vars and we get the expected behavior.