Re: [tlaplus] Question about 'Init' in a TLA+ specification

Hi Aman!

On 9/25/22 00:25, Aman Shaikh wrote:
Hi

A TLA+ specification generally has the form Init /\ [][Next]_vars; I'm ignoring liveness properties here. However, one could as well write this in the form FooInit /\ [][FooNext]_vars if my understanding is correct. In other words, Init and Next are not TLA+ keywords.

You are correct, Init and Next are just conventions. If they are defined, the toolbox automatically proposes them as your specification. You can choose your own definitions in the model checking pane if you prefer.

Given this, how does a tool like TLC know that Init (or FooInit) is the starting state of the specification? Is it because there are no primed variables in the expression?

thx
aman

kind regards,
Martin