Re: [tlaplus] Patterns for detecting data race with TLA+?

Hi Shuhao,

Your spec doesn't necessarily mean the two variables are  reading and writing the same variable at the same time. Remember, each label represents an abstract amount of time: for all you know the two actions could be two years apart. It's a good proxy for bad behavior, but it's still an "indirect" property.

I find that "direct properties" scale better. What is the bad state that both processes writing at the same time would cause? If you check that as an invariant, race conditions will naturally appear in the error trace. You can then write indirect properties for the specific race conditions you see to make them trigger earlier in the model checking.

(One useful tool for this is Action Properties, which let you assert properties on how variables change in a step.)