[tlaplus] Re: TLA+-style Refinement vs. Backward and Forward Simulation

In the compiler paper the authors assume that Impl is "deterministic, that is, ... it admits only one observable behavior... This is the case if the target language ... has no internal non-determinism (programs change their behaviors only in response to different inputs but not because of internal choices) and the execution environment is deterministic (inputs given to programs are uniquely determined by their previous outputs)".

In this special case, Impl has only one observable behavior; then if Spec => Impl and Spec has at least one observable behavior then we must also have Impl => Spec.

They are interested in showing Impl => Spec but they go the other way because it works in this special case and because Spec => Impl is easier to prove than Impl => Spec. They are interested in this special case because their target language is a single-threaded assembly language that is shown to have no internal non-determinism; however, I do not know if the determinism of the environment is a reasonable assumption. I have only skimmed the paper.

-Abhishek