Re: [tlaplus] Meaning of conjunction or disjunction of fairness

Hello,

universal quantification is stronger than existential quantification (assuming Values is non-empty) and conjunction is stronger than disjunction. For example,

\A v \in Values:
    /\ WF_Vars(AtoB(v))
    /\ WF_Vars(BtoC(v))

says that both transitions AtoB and BtoC must eventually occur when they remain enabled, for every possible value. This is typically what you want : any value that is at "A" will eventually move to "B" and then to "C", assuming that there are no conflicting transitions.

In contrast,

\E v \in Values:
    \/ WF_Vars(AtoB(v))
    \/ WF_Vars(BtoC(v))

is a very weak condition. Assuming that at least one value v is initially at "A", a behavior that stutters forever satisfies this fairness condition: v is never at "B", thus the transition BtoC is always disabled for value v, and therefore the fairness condition WF_Vars(BtoC(v)) holds, hence the entire formula.

Figuring out the meaning of the other conditions is a nice exercise.

Regards,

Stephan