[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] How to model check this "real-time" spec?

But perhaps one answer here is that while the spec doesn't admit any traces in which the invariant is violated, it does admit finite traces (ie those that deadlock) and that is what TLC is catching. However, given TLA semantics, only infinite traces can be traces of the model so finite traces don't or shouldn't enter the picture.

On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 8:53:55 PM UTC-7 ns wrote:
hi Stephan, thanks as always for your insightful answer. My thinking was that since the spec doesn't admit any traces in which the lights don't change at least once every K s (based on my understanding of TLA semantics) I was hoping that the model checker would agree and say that the invariant was indeed satisfied. But instead it reported deadlock. I did see where the deadlock is coming from,  and I suppose its a way of rejecting those bad traces, but was somewhat surprising. I like your solution to the problem using a kind of "lookahead" to prevent DoNothing when a bound is about to expire, but it appears to me a way of getting TLC to do the right thing. Please let me know if I'm still missing something key.

On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 2:19:32 AM UTC-7 Stephan Merz wrote:
Not sure I understand your question: TLC *does* model check your spec, it just (correctly) signals a deadlock, since the non-clock variables may stutter according to DoNothing until the clock exceeds its bound, at which point no action is enabled anymore. If you intend to avoid this, DoNothing needs a stronger time bound, see attached module for a possible definition.

Since the modified spec generates an unbounded state space, you'll need to add a state constraint to your model, such as 

clock <= MAX_TIME

Hope this helps,
Stephan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/ac28683b-f55a-4916-978a-b7a5b1f5f18en%40googlegroups.com.