[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] Re: TLAPS proof of increment and update

I am not an expert not even intermediate with TLAPS so I might be completely wrong but I found 2 interesting things in this proof. 
  1. You do not need the condition /\ valX.ts <= clock \*<-this is required only for proof  for TLAPS to prove your theorems.
  2. Clock is the main culprit of the proof not working properly.
I don't know if I can explain this very well but the obligation that fails in the proof is <2>1. If we perform a symbolic execution of the states, we know that Init => SafetyProperty. This is obvious. Now, in any state other than init, we start with an assumption that safety property holds so, (valX.val > valY.val) => valX.ts >= valY.ts  is true. Now if you apply the operations of the Inc state, clock becomes clock+1 and valX becomes [valX.val+1, clock+1].  Now replace these changes in the safety property which should hold true. We get:

(valX.val+1 > valY.val) => clock+1 >= valY.ts 

With any of the assumptions you started with, it is not possible to prove this. This problem goes away when you add valY.ts <= clock because suddenly the proof assistant has another assumption it can use with the Inc state.

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 9:19:11 PM UTC+2 smruti...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I have been trying different proofs with TLAPS. In the spec attached in this conversation, I tried a simple example of increment and update of two variables. That is, Increment the first variable at a given time and then update the second variable with the incremented value of the first variable at a different time.

This spec has two variables - valX and valY. valX and valY are represented as a record with two fields: val that can take Natural numbers and ts as timestamp associated with it. We use a global clock for time.

valX is incremented by 1 and valY is updated with the new value of valX. This increment and update pattern is an abstraction that can be used during server/worker zero-downtime updates.

I was able to use TLAPS to prove the safety property of the spec.  But it required two extra enabling conditions in the Inc action for the proof to work:  

/\ valX.ts <= clock \*<-this is required only for proof

/\ valY.ts <= clock \*<-this is required only for proof

I am not clear as to why we would need these two conditions. It should follow from the induction hypothesis.

I would appreciate it if someone can provide me some more insights into the workings of the TLAPS proof.   

I have attached the spec with this conversation.  

Best,

Smruti

ps: I am unable to post any attached TLA+ spec to this group in my conversation. so renamed the file with .txt.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/34c902e5-b475-466c-a674-702d6a2265a2n%40googlegroups.com.