[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] Answering Questions

I agree with Leslie but as I have been studying and absolutely love TLA+ it seems like such an advanced subject that is easy to get wrong. I struggle with it in the background but try to figure it out on my own as NOT to only ask questions and leave. Also, when someone has been doing something for so long, they may forget how much they understand vs newer people. What is basic to and advanced user (You and Stephan) is very advanced for newer users (me and others). While some do come just to ask questions, for me it seems hard to contribute as there are so many aspects to TLA+ that I haven’t even ventured into as my projects are smaller in nature or I simply don’t know how to apply more advanced methods to my projects. It may be a matter of not knowing how to contribute to others questions when I know or feel that I will likely be completely wrong/unhelpful. 

Eighty percent (probably more like 99%) of the topics I don’t even know what the base subject is. So, maybe your comment is more directed at more intermediate/advanced users of TLA+ and people with overall more coding knowledge. It feels that I would merely detract from the conversation therefore I stay silent and watch in the background.

On Mar 4, 2021, at 5:02 PM, Leslie Lamport <tlaplus.ll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is gratifying to see all the questions about TLA+ on this group.
However, it worries me that so many of them are answered by Stephan
Merz.  Stephan does a great job of answering them, and we are all
grateful to him.  But depending so much on him is bad for two reasons:
It's not fair to him to have to do that much work, and depending so much
on him is not viable in the long term.

I would like to see other people answering more of the questions.  If
you think you know the answer to a question, don't be shy about
posting your answer.  If you're wrong, someone else can correct you,
and you and others will learn from your mistake.  Let's make this
group a group effort, not just a forum for asking questions of a few
old timers.

Leslie

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/0dd69bfa-ad8a-4968-b67a-597add88799fn%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/E66416BB-5402-434E-91F4-50529B0ACD32%40gmail.com.