Re: [tlaplus] Re: Using VIEW to check temporal properties of monotonic systems

> For option (2), is such a thing even possible with VIEW?

Yes! The VIEW can be any TLA+ _expression_. (Er, excluding temporal operators and primed variables.) It is not restricted to being a sequence of variables.

One way to achieve what you want---the best way I think---is to write a VIEW that strips out or transforms the sequence values in messages.

> For option (2), it kind of seems like if I could define such a VIEW, I would be sort of assuming that the sequence counter just doesn't matter

You're absolutely right. Most likely you will need to transform (rather than strip) the sequence values, and you will need to be extremely careful about how you do it, so that you do not change the meaning of your spec. How are the sequence values used? Are they recorded timestamps that capture moments in the past, or are they deadlines that indicate moments in the future, or are they something more complicated?