[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] Initial state doesn't satisfy type invariant

I'm starting to use the TLA+ toolkit after a decades-long hiatus in my use of TLA+ and TLC, and am struggling with the basics. My spec's type invariant is failing on the initial state, and I don't see why. Here are the spec, the model configuration, and the error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(* The relevant part of the spec.                                             *)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONSTANT  Nodes,
          Labels,
          StartNodes

VARIABLE  node_stack,
          edges_stack

Init ==   /\ node_stack = EMPTY
          /\ edges_stack = Push( EMPTY, StartNodes )

TypeOK == /\ node_stack \in Seq(Nodes)
          /\ edges_stack \in Seq([SUBSET(Labels) -> Nodes])

(* The relevant part of the model configuration.                              *)

Nodes <- { "A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F" }
Labels <- 1..Cardinality(Nodes)
StartNodes <- << "A" >>

(* The error.                                                                 *)

Invariant TypeOK is violated by the initial state:
/\ edges_stack = <<<<"A">>>>
/\ node_stack = <<>>

I assume that node_stack is satisfying the type invariant, so the problem is
with edges_stack. As I read it, its initial value is a sequence of length one,
with the only element being a function with a domain of { 1 } that maps 1 to "A".
I thought that would also satisfy the type invariant. What am I misunderstanding?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/cac57bb6-3d36-433e-a1f9-b3747211fe56n%40googlegroups.com.