Re: [tlaplus] Source file with non-commercial license

On 16.11.20 03:53, Chuck Lutz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking to possibly use TLA+ at work, but our legal folks have
> pointed out that the following file includes a license that restricts
> non-commercial use:
>
> https://github.com/tlaplus/tlaplus/blob/master/tlatools/org.lamport.tlatools/src/tla2tex/PosAndCol.java
>
> Is this file vital to the use of TLA+? They want to remove it from what
> would be our internally-approved distribution of the .tgz / .zip from
> GitHub.
>
> It seems like it would affect the pretty-printing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information,
> Chuck Lutz

Hi Chuck,

there are many source files with an identical or similar copyright
header. You won't be able to remove all of them without breaking TLC.
However, as agreed to by the copyright holders HP/Compaq and Microsoft,
the TLA+ tools and the Toolbox are released under the (permissive) MIT
license [1]. Please open an issue [2] if your legal department still has
concerns.

Thanks,
Markus

[1] https://github.com/tlaplus/tlaplus/blob/master/README.md#license