[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] When to prefer function or operator?

Thanks for getting back to me. 

So in my example, from a direct specification perspective, it doesn't matter much; does it affect anything in regards to TLC or TLAPS? Does using an operator perform better during model checking? 

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 10:41:26 AM UTC-4 Stephan Merz wrote:
Section 6.4 of Specifying Systems has a thorough discussion of the tradeoffs between functions and operators [1]. The conclusion is as follows:

When defining an object V, you may have to decide whether to make V an operator that takes an argument or a function. The differences between operators and functions will often determine the decision. [...] If these differences don’t determine whether to use an operator or a function, then the choice is a matter of taste. I usually prefer operators.

Regards,
Stephan

[1] Since the publication of Specifying Systems, recursive operator definitions have been added to TLA+ and therefore the arguments about recursive definitions no longer apply.

On 21 Aug 2020, at 16:34, thomas...@gmail.com <thomas...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are cases when either a function or operator will solve a task more-or-less equivalently. 

For example, both this function and operator accomplish a roughly-equivalent result: 

addOne[x \in Nat] == x + 1

addOneOperator(x) == x + 1

My question is: when either an operator or function will accomplish a job, which one would you prefer?  What are the tradeoffs? 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+u...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/6108b306-0d5a-4a0f-80bf-6c56ebefc51fn%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/f9fd9da4-02b6-48fe-84b9-c79dab04bfacn%40googlegroups.com.