[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] TLAPS: problem with proof of GCD from TLA+ Hyperbook (chapter 11.2)

Hello,

it's not your fault that this proof doesn't go through. The obligation falls into the theory of non-linear integer arithmetic, which is undecidable and for which SMT solvers implement heuristics. Unfortunately, these are quite brittle, in particular when quantifiers are involved as in this case (namely the definition of Divides). At the time when that chapter of the Hyperbook was written, the version of CVC3 that was then the default solver used by TLAPS must have been able to prove that obligation. I now tried CVC3, CVC4 and Z3, and none of them found the proof automatically, so we must break down the proof one level further and indicate the witness terms for the existential quantifier – see below.

Btw, why this module defines Divides and DivisorOf over all Int instead of a subset like in https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlaps/content/Documentation/Tutorial/Hierarchical_proofs.html? What is the best approach in this case?

I don't think that there is a single best approach. The two definitions differ in that, for example, the Hyperbook versions have Divides(-2,4) or Divides(0,0), in contrast to the versions on the Web page. But for the Euclid algorithm, we are only interested in positive natural numbers (and the GCD theorems are only stated for those), so these differences should not matter.

Regards,
Stephan

THEOREM GCD3 == \A m, n \in Nat \ {0}:
                     (n > m) => (GCD(m, n) = GCD(m, n-m))
  <1> SUFFICES ASSUME NEW m \in Nat \ {0}, NEW n \in Nat \ {0},
                      n > m
               PROVE  GCD(m, n) = GCD(m, n-m)
    OBVIOUS
  <1>1. ASSUME NEW i \in Int, NEW q \in Int, m = i*q, NEW r \in Int, n = i*r
        PROVE  \E z \in Int : n-m = i*z
     <2>1. r-q \in Int /\ n-m = i*(r-q)
       BY <1>1
     <2>. QED  BY <2>1
  <1>2. ASSUME NEW i \in Int, NEW q \in Int, m = i*q, NEW r \in Int, n-m = i*r
        PROVE  \E z \in Int : n = i*z
     <2>1. r+q \in Int /\ n = i*(r+q)
       BY <1>2
     <2>. QED  BY <2>1
  <1> QED
    BY <1>1, <1>2 DEF GCD, SetMax , DivisorsOf, Divides

On 18 Apr 2020, at 23:50, 'Nicholas Fiorentini' via tlaplus <tlaplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

After having tried the tutorial from the official TLAPS site, I moved to the chapter 11 of the TLA+ Hyperbook.
I was able to prove GCD1 and GCD2, but now I'm stuck on GCD3. I'm at the very last part of the proof: using BY DEF Divides to check the main step of the proof, thus concluding the whole proof. The problem is that TLAPS is unable to use prove this. Here the obligation:

ASSUME NEW CONSTANT m \in Nat \ {0},
       NEW CONSTANT n \in Nat \ {0},
       n > m 
PROVE  \A i \in Int :
          (\E q \in Int : m = i * q) /\ (\E q \in Int : n = i * q)
          <=> (\E q \in Int : m = i * q) /\ (\E q \in Int : n - m = i * q)

Reading the book seems that this should not happen. What I'm doing wrong?

I also tried changing the few Int with Nat. Btw, why this module defines Divides and DivisorOf over all Int instead of a subset like in https://tla.msr-inria.inria.fr/tlaps/content/Documentation/Tutorial/Hierarchical_proofs.html? What is the best approach in this case?

Thanks for your help,

Nicholas

Here my tla file. In bold the line with the problem.

--------------------------- MODULE GCDProperties ---------------------------

EXTENDS Integers, FiniteSets, TLAPS, NaturalsInduction

Divides(p, n) == \E q \in Int : n = p * q

DivisorsOf(n) == {p \in Int : Divides(p, n)}

SetMax(S) ==  CHOOSE i \in S : \A j \in S : i >= j

GCD(m, n) == SetMax(DivisorsOf(m) \cap DivisorsOf(n))

THEOREM GCD1 == \A m \in Nat \ {0} : GCD(m, m) = m
    <1> SUFFICES ASSUME NEW m \in Nat \ {0}
                 PROVE GCD(m, m) = m
        OBVIOUS
    <1>1 Divides(m, m)
        BY DEF Divides
    <1>2 \A i \in Nat : Divides(i, m) => (i =< m)
        BY DEF Divides
    <1> QED
        BY <1>1, <1>2 DEF GCD, SetMax, DivisorsOf

THEOREM GCD2 == \A m, n \in Nat \ {0} : GCD(m, n) = GCD(n, m)
    BY DEF GCD

THEOREM GCD3 == \A m, n \in Nat \ {0} : (n > m) => (GCD(m, n) = GCD(m, n-m))
    <1> SUFFICES ASSUME NEW m \in Nat \ {0},
                        NEW n \in Nat \ {0},
                        n > m
                 PROVE  GCD(m, n) = GCD(m, n-m)
        OBVIOUS
    <1> \A i \in Int : (Divides(i, m) /\ Divides(i, n)) <=> (Divides(i, m) /\ Divides(i, n - m))
        BY DEF Divides
    <1> QED
        BY DEF GCD, SetMax, DivisorsOf

=============================================================================

Sito Web: www.qualitade.com
Trovaci su: cid:image001.png@01D270ED.22EDB710 cid:image002.png@01D270ED.22EDB710
Via Mantova 137, 26100 Cremona
+39 0372 1931375
P.IVA: 01643800194 | Capitale Sociale: 10.000 euro
Informativa Privacy
Questa email ha per destinatari dei contatti presenti negli archivi di Qualitade S.r.l.. Tutte le informazioni vengono trattate e tutelate nel rispetto  della normativa vigente sulla protezione dei dati personali (Reg. EU 2016/679). Per richiedere informazioni e/o variazioni e/o la cancellazione dei vostri dati presenti nei nostri archivi potete inviare una email a qualitade@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Avviso di Riservatezza
Il contenuto di questa e-mail e degli eventuali allegati, è strettamente confidenziale e destinato alla/e persona/e a cui è indirizzato. Se avete ricevuto per errore questa e-mail, vi preghiamo di segnalarcelo immediatamente e di cancellarla dal vostro computer. E' fatto divieto di copiare e divulgare il contenuto di questa e-mail. Ogni utilizzo abusivo delle informazioni qui contenute da parte di persone terze o comunque non indicate nella presente e-mail, potrà essere perseguito ai sensi di legge.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/7e0fc5aa-f0c0-4f74-807b-bf0d5a114261%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/363ADD28-A551-4B86-9771-2156D94EDFBF%40gmail.com.