[tlaplus] Best practice when building a series of model refinements?

Hi
    Following the common methodology of B and Event B I want to build a series of ever more complex models each a refinement of the later.
Does TCL only work on the Root module in a directory or can I build models of any module in a directory?

Last year I used symbolic links so as not to have copies of one module in different directories but now symbolic links do not appear to be recognised.
Is best practice to build a series of directories each with a different Root-module but containing a copies of the more abstract modules that the Root module refines?  Or have I missed some thing? david