Re: [tlaplus] Existential quantifier over integers

Hello,

TLC cannot enumerate infinite sets. A typical workaround for quantifier bounds involving infinite sets is to override a set such as Int by a small finite set such as -2 .. 2 if appropriate. (See "Additional Spec Options" -> "Definition Override").

For the snippet shown in the message, I suggest that you avoid quantification altogether and write something like

ServerResponse ==
  /\ serverSt.status = "processing"
  /\ serverSt' = [serverSt EXCEPT !.status = "idle"]
  /\ msgs' = msgs \cup {[type |-> "response", to |-> serverSt.from, res |-> (serverSt.a + serverSt.b)]}
  /\ UNCHANGED clientSt

Note that here the value of serverSt stays a record even when the status is "idle" so that the first conjunct makes sense (and evaluates to FALSE) even if the server is idle. You may want to reset the other record fields to default values so that TLC doesn't generate distinct states that differ only in values of irrelevant record fields.

I believe that you can similarly rewrite the actions ServerReceive and ClientReceive. You still need quantification over integers in ClientSend for expressing non-determinism, and here you will have to use a finite set instead for model checking.

Hope this helps,
Stephan