Re: [tlaplus] TLA+, Event B comparison

Hello,

there is currently no support for code generation from TLA+ specifications. Doing so for a well-defined fragment of TLA+ matching a suitable class of target systems would IMHO be a nice research project.

As you say, Event B specifications have a more rigid structure, which can be beneficial (in particular, fine-grained proof obligations can be generated schematically) but may also restrain you in expressing things: for example, you cannot have an event X sometimes refine a higher-level event A and sometimes another event B.

Finally, Event B doesn't have explicit temporal logic, and therefore there is no support for general liveness properties, although there are some pre-defined schemas, such as for showing that low-level events that correspond to high-level stuttering cannot happen forever.

I am obviously a bit partial to TLA+ but I think that you'll have to find out for yourself which formalism works better for you and for your intended application.

Regards,
Stephan