[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] How to test a process eventually succeeds after indefinite number of retries?

Hello! I'm modeling a process that will retry indefinitely until it succeeds. A toy version of the process looks like:

variables

succeeded = FALSE;

fair process retry_example = "retry_example"

begin

RETRY_BEGIN:

either

RETRY_SUCCEED:

succeeded := TRUE;

or

RETRY_ERROR:

goto RETRY_BEGIN;

end either;

end process;

Is there a useful way to test that such a process "eventually" succeeds? Right now, the following temporal property fails because the process could retry forever:

[]<>(succeeded)

It seems like I should be able to modify this spec so that TLC can check useful things about it. For example I could add a counter to the process, just for TLC's sake, that limits the number of times it fails.

Or I could assert that if it has ever succeeded at its first step, then it has accomplished some subsequent work:

variables

succeeded = FALSE,

accomplished_work = FALSE;

fair process retry_example = "retry_example"

begin

RETRY_BEGIN:

either

RETRY_SUCCEED:

succeeded := TRUE;

DO_MORE_WORK:

\* Imagine further steps between these lines.

accomplished_work := TRUE;

or

RETRY_ERROR:

goto RETRY_BEGIN;

end either;

end process;

And then test this property, that if the process ever succeeded then it accomplished work:

<>[](succeeded => accomplished_work)

My general question is this: there are lots of algorithms that include indefinite retries, I'm curious how people test that they are correct, if there is a concept like "eventually succeeds" that can be tested with such specs?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To post to this group, send email to tlaplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tlaplus.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.