Re: Is TLA+ still useful if your implementation language is a purely functional one, like Haskell?

Leslie — I’m watching the video you posted. It’s great.

As you make clear, the language you’re using is
irrelevant. It’s whether you’re writing a simple functional program
or a reactive program—that is, implementing a system.

Why is a (purely) functional program not considered a system? Does “system” imply state transitioning?

One other possible use of TLA+ for functional programs that you didn’t
mention is in coming up with an algorithm to compute the function.
The complexity of an algorithm is how many steps it takes to execute.
The complexity of a function is the smallest number of steps it takes
to compute it. That’s not a practically useful concept of complexity.
The complexity of sorting is N log N, but if I write bubble sort in a
functional language, the complexity of the function I’ve defined is
N log N, but no compiler is going to produce a program with that
complexity. I expect that there are many algorithms that are easier
to think of imperatively than functionally. It may be because
I’m used to programming imperatively.

I’m assuming here your point is that (as it relates to TLA+), in a purely functional language, one can wrap a pure function interface over an imperative algorithm and, when doing so, use TLA+ to help specify various safety and liveness properties of the algorithm.