Re: [tlaplus] How can this lemma (involving []) be applied?

Hi Roy,

first of all, welcome to the group and congratulations for getting so far in your proof! Your proof of the corollary fails because in lemma BoxImpl,

   ASSUME NEW P, NEW Q ....

stands for

   ASSUME NEW CONSTANT P, NEW CONSTANT Q ...

but you try to apply the lemma to the state predicates TypeOK and BalanceGeqZero.

If you try to reprove the variant of BoxImpl with

   ASSUME NEW STATE P, NEW STATE Q ....

the proof will (should) fail. The reason is that in the sequent ASSUME A PROVE B, the formula A is assumed only for the initial state. Thus the rephrased lemma assumes the implication P => Q only for the first state, which is not enough to prove the conclusion []Q.

The way to prove your corollary is as follows:

COROLLARY BGZInvariant == Spec => []BalanceGeqZero
<1>1. TypeOK => BalanceGeqZero
<1>. QED  BY TypeOKInvariant, <1>1, PTL

Since step <1>1 is proved in an empty context (more generally, in a context all of whose assumptions are boxed), it gets promoted to the theorem "[](TypeOK => BalanceGeqZero)" for the call to the PTL decision procedure. In your proof of the corollary, this is not possible because the step appears within the context with non-boxed assumption Spec.

As a general rule, it is not useful to state proof rules of propositional temporal logic as lemmas because they are anyway superseded by the PTL decision procedure.

Hope this helps,
Stephan