Re: Rigid and flexible variables

Every mathematical discovery is a collaboration. The decimal notation of numbers looks rather natural but if you compare
it with the ancient methods, like the Roman one, it turns out that the easy way was not the first one that was
 found.

It just comes to my mind that if the Romans never found the decimal notation it is because they used an abacus (or an equivalent device)
to make their calculations. But the decimal notation is only welcome when you use the "algorithm", I mean the "schoolbook
addition".

It is parallel to your idea about notation.

--
FL