Re: [tlaplus] novice's troubles (continued)

I replied to dmrl privately.  This is for the benefit of the tlaplus group.

The SimpleAllocator.tla dmrl was using was probably corrupted.  He obtained it from http://www.tlaplus.net/learning/examples/ , but the copy I obtained from that site was fine.

With the CarTalk example, dmrl was confused by the confusing overloading of the term "spec".  The usual TLA spec is a temporal formula.  A temporal formula is a predicate on behaviors, where a behavior is a sequence of states and a state is an assignment of values to variables.  This is the kind of spec that you have to use to describe a concurrent system.  To distinguish it from other kinds of specs, I now call it a "behavior spec".  The "What to Check?" part of the model is in the section "What is the behavior spec?".  As dmrl reported, the model indicated that there is no behavior spec, which is why "What to Check?" was greyed out.  The Toolbox knew that there couldn't be a behavioral spec because there were no variables declared in the module.

The spec in the CarTalk example is the _expression_ AllSolutions.  It is a constant _expression_.  When you expand all the definitions, the only things that mathematicians call "variables" in the _expression_ are the declared TLA constants N and P.  (In TLA, constants are what temporal logicians call rigid variables; TLA's variables are what they call flexible variables.)  To have TLC evaluate a constant _expression_ for a model (which must define values for declared constants), you must go to the model's Model Checking Results page.  In the section "Evaluate Constant _expression_", type the _expression_ you want TLC to evaluate in the text field marked "_expression_:" and click on the Run button (the button with the arrowhead in the green circle).  TLC should print the value in the obvious place.