Re: quick question about TLA

Dear Yining Liu,

may I suggest that you start by reading some of the introductory material on TLA+, in particular the hyperbook available from http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/tla/hyperbook.html. It is a tutorial introduction that will give you a much clearer idea on what TLA+ is intended for than what a forum discussion could achieve.

The main difference to a programming language is that TLA+ is not a priori executable, although you can use the model checker to simulate a significant fragment of the language. TLA+ is meant for precisely describing algorithms, at appropriate levels of abstraction.

Regards,
Stephan