[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] incorporating modules into other modules when model checking

Hello Stephan

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification and the pointer to Chapter 10. 

Reading ....

Richard

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 4:13:18 AM UTC-4, Stephan Merz wrote:
Hello Richard,

thanks for your compliments.

First, note that LQSpec as it is written cannot be used with TLC: the initial condition only specifies that the values of i and o are equal but doesn't say what they are, and similarly LQEnq does not determine the value of i'. For TLC, you probably want to add something like

CONSTANT Data
null == CHOOSE x : x \notin Data

and change the definitions

LQInit ==
  /\ q = << >>
  /\ i = null
  /\ o = null

LQEnq == \E d \in Data :
  /\ i' = d
  /\ q' = Append(q, i')
  /\ o' = o

This being done, you could instantiate the module and use it in another one, like so

LQ == INSTANCE LossyQueue  \* possibly specify some substitutions for the parameters

ProducerConsumer ==
  /\ ... \* specification of the producer and consumer processes
  /\ LQ!LQSpec

However, while this is a fine TLA formula, you won't be able to give it as a specification to TLC because it expects to see specifications in standard form

Init /\ [][Next]_v /\ L

with a single next-state action. You need to apply some massaging to convert your composed specification to standard form, and you'll end up writing something like

PCNext ==
   \/ ...  \* actions of producer and consumer processes
   \/ LQ!LQNext /\ UNCHANGED ...  \* P/C variables different from the channels that synchronize with LQ

Chapter 10 of the TLA book discusses composition in more detail.

Best,
Stephan

> On 28 Oct 2015, at 22:34, richard.a...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Stephen Merz provided some nice examples of communication primitives a while back: LossyQueue, AsyncInterleavingQueue, SyncInterleavingQueue. For example, the LossyQueue looked like this:
>
> ----------------------------- MODULE LossyQueue ---------------------------
> EXTENDS Sequences
> VARIABLES i,o,q
>
> vars == <<o,q>>
>
> LQInit == /\ q = <<>>
>          /\ i = o
>
> LQEnq == /\ q' = Append(q,i')
>         /\ o' = o
>
> LQDeq == /\ q # <<>>
>         /\ o' = Head(q)
>         /\ q' = Tail(q)
>         /\ i' = i
>
> LQNext == LQEnq \/ LQDeq
>
> LQLive == WF_vars(LQDeq)                              
> LQSpec == LQInit /\ [][LQNext]_vars /\ LQLive
>
> =======================================================================
>
> I want to use a LossyQueue in a larger module to model a queue. And I also want to model check some correctness properties of the larger module which makes use of this LossyQueue. For example, let's say the larger module represents a system composed of a producer, a consumer and the lossy queue and I want to check whether or not messages enq'd by the producer are deq'd by the consumer. Let's say it's called ProducerConsumer.
>
> I expect modules are there to provide reuse, but it isn't clear to me how this LossyQueue module could be reused in ProducerConsumer to model an instance of a lossy queue, nor is it clear to me how the LQSpec defined in this module could or would be incorporated into the model checking of ProducerConsumer. Am I way off track?
>
> What I do at present is to define operations like Enq(q,i) and Deq(q) which operate on a sequence called q to append and remove elements and so behave like a queue. These macros can even be put in their own module, but any underlying sequences which the macros operate on appear in the large module. Is this the only approach I have for incorporating such data structures into my larger modules?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to tla...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tlaplus.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.