Re: Documentation Lacking for Multivar Set Comprehension

Apologies, my bad. Indeed you're right, I missed that. I have however to respectfully disagree when you say,

"the fact that one would have to look at documentation to find the order in which the bound variable declarations should be applied for set constructors suggests that the restriction in that case was a good idea"

As I mentioned, in Chapter 1 it is stated:

\A x \in S, y \in T : F   means    \A x \in S : (\A y \in T : F)

But it doesn't really. And I think that is the surprising fact here.

I personally looked up formal semantics (obviously not as carefully as I should have, sorry about that again) just to make sure my bug report got the right semantics.  I was  surprised that set comprehensions appeared to define a right to left scooping order. This is why in this post I argued it seemed unintuitive and in need of documentation. I think that a left to right scope is standard and intuitive enough that people wouldn't be having to look it up.

EDIT:

Regarding this:

"I don't find the right-hand side in the example with \E so terrible."

Indeed I agree. My point there was precisely that the latter example, for set comprehensions written with all the unions, was terrible. Much more of a pain to read and write than the one with quantifiers which by comparison is OK.

J.A.