[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Simple Concurrent/Distributed example with an implementation

I was looking for what would amount to the world's simplest concurrent/distributed (i.e. multithreaded/multiprocess/network) design/architecture for which there was an implementation that satisfied the design but for which TLA+ is used to find a problem in the design. So it would be an end-to-end sort of look at a system that included TLA+ as a key artifact.

To my understanding, you're looking for a real-life example with specs and source code, where the bug was discovered via TLA+, right? There are a few things that make those finding resources tricky:

* Most people currently using TLA+ are using it for proprietary projects, so it's hard to find the spec or source code.
* Most people use TLA+ to either build new projects or changed known buggy ones, not necessarily to write specs looking for bugs in existing, "working" systems.
* Most TLA+ specs are for complicated projects.

Here's what I came up with. This is an example of sample code where a bug was really hard to find with testing and really easy to find in TLA+, but it was a toy example for class. That said, someone did run into an extremely similar bug in practice and provided code. Here is a case of someone specifically using TLA+ to find a bug in an existing system, but he doesn't provide the full code. Mongo wrote a simplified model of part of their database and found a bug that none of them knew about before; the code is available but very complex.

Does that help?

H