Re: [tlaplus] beginner's help with TLC

To follow up on Leslie's answer, here's what happens after you create a model from the SimpleAllocator specification (menu TLC Model Checker -> New Model...). The window will report two errors that correspond to the missing values for the CONSTANT parameters. A double click on the names of the constants in the tab named "What is the model?" will bring up a dialog box into which you enter the values. On the attached screenshot, I chose to instantiate the parameter Clients by the set {c1,c2,c3} and the parameter Resources by the set {r1,r2} and in both cases checked the box "set of model values" (meaning that TLC will consider them as uninterpreted, distinct constants), leaving all other options at their default values. Alternatively, I could have taken sets of pre-defined TLA+ values, say, integers or strings, and checked "Ordinary assignment".

It is somewhat confusing that the TLA+ Toolbox doesn't erase the error message once you assign values to these constants. Simply click on the triangle in the green circle at the top left of the interface. The interface then checks again, sees that everything is fine, and starts TLC.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Stephan