Re: [tlaplus] Correctness of refinement mapping

Hi Ron,

the soundness of adding auxiliary variables is ensured by the corresponding introduction rules. For example, a simple history variable may be added using a rule such as

  Init /\ [][Next]_v => \EE h : Init /\ h = h0 /\ [][Next /\ h' = f(h,v) /\ v' # v]_<<v,h>>

and the validity of this formula (for arbitrary h0 and f) is proved once and for all.

Now, when you use a refinement mapping to prove that the spec on the right-hand side refines some high-level specification, you may conclude that so does the spec on the left-hand side, by transitivity of implication.

In other words, the soundness of auxiliary variables is not checked by TLC but ensured by following syntactic patterns when introducing these variables. There should be a chapter about this in a future version of the Hyperbook.

Best,
Stephan