Re: [tlaplus] C0 and TLAPLUS

Hello,

I had a quick look at C0 and it looks definitely easier to verify than
pure C (e.g. there is no typecasting). If I understand correctly, the
difference to Pluscal is that C0 has explicit memory management, an I/O
library and contracts.

I'm not sure what role you envision for C0 in combination to TLA though
- it might be easier to teach verification when you already know about
assertions and loop invariants. But the other features of C0 complicate
the verification process - in particular you need to prove that memory
management is correct and are bound to C-like data-structures like
null-terminated strings. I believe they distract a student from
reasoning on the actual algorithm and put the focus on the book-keeping
a C like language enforces.

Insofar I'd prefer to teach a purely functional language like Haskell,
which is closer to logic (e.g. that it doesn't have assignment or the
way list comprehensions resemble mathematical set comprehensions) and
better suited to reasoning on parallelism. At least I have the feeling
that the gap between C0 and Pluscal is esier to understand than that
between Pluscal and TLA.

What I would find interesting though would be code-generation from a
reasonable subset of Pluscal (full Pluscal allows arbitrary TLA
expressions like  CHOOSE x : ~(x \in Nat) - which shouldn't be
translated to an iteration on the whole set of natural numbers).

cheers, Martin