Re: [tlaplus] Nondeterminism and equivalence

Safety properties constrain finite sequences of states (prefixes of behaviors), and the possibility of stuttering forever from any point – rather than actual stuttering invariance – effectively lets you represent finite sequences in an LTL framework. In standard LTL or with "raw TLA" specifications (where []A is a temporal formula for an arbitrary action A), the mere fact that the semantics talks about infinite sequences already introduces an element of liveness because "the clock ticks infinitely often". For example, the specification

implies the liveness property

  \A n \in Nat : <>(x > n)

so the specification is not a safety property. The formula

is not stuttering invariant, but it still describes a safety property.

Stephan