Re: [tlaplus] Recursive data structures

But if instead we define:

    NULL == "-"

and then,

    RECURSIVE Node
    Node == {NULL} \cup [value : Value, left : Node, right : Node]

(or Node == CHOOSE Node : Node = {NULL} \cup [...])

then aren't there just two fixpoints -- one with all finite trees and one with all finite and infinite trees? It's possible (depending on the spec) that we could live with either.

Also, at the danger of stating the obvious, if this is just needed for TLC and the goal is just to use trees in another algorithm rather than explore the properties of algorithms focused on trees, the most practical solution is just not to define the set Node at all...

Ron