[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [tlaplus] Removing a label in a PlusCal algorithm changes the verification outcome

Hi Georgios, labels are very important in PlusCal. Code between a pair of labels runs atomically, and each label is a point where a process can interleave with another process. As LearnTLA says, "The labels determine what happens atomically and what can be interrupted by another process. That way we can represent race conditions." Or as the manual says, "A single step (atomic action) of a PlusCal algorithm consists of the execution from one label to the next."

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 6:05 AM Georgios Kafanas (gkaf) <kafanas.george@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am trying to implement the 1BitNProcMutex from the PlusCal tutorial session 8, without using a goto statement. However, the resulting algorithm is very sensitive to the labeling of the statements.

This is the module I am using:

```
----------------------------- MODULE OneBitNProcMutex -----------------------------
EXTENDS Integers, TLC

CONSTANT N
ASSUME N \in Nat

Procs == 0..(N-1)

(*
--algorithm 1BitNProcMutex {
  variables can_enter_critical_region = [i \in Procs |-> FALSE] ;
  process (P \in Procs)
  variable higher_priority = {}; lower_priority = {}; proc = self;
  { ncs: while (TRUE) {
           skip ;
    enter: while ( ~ can_enter_critical_region[self] ) {
             can_enter_critical_region[self] := TRUE ;
             higher_priority := { i \in Procs : i < self } ;
         e1: while ( higher_priority /= {} /\ can_enter_critical_region[self] ) {
         e2:   with ( q \in higher_priority ) {
                 proc := q;
               };
         e3:   if ( can_enter_critical_region[proc] ) {
         e4:     can_enter_critical_region[self] := FALSE ;
         e5:     higher_priority := { i \in Procs : i < self } ;
                 await ~ can_enter_critical_region[proc] ;
               } else e6: {
                 higher_priority := higher_priority \ {proc} ;
               } ;
             };
           } ;
           lower_priority := { i \in Procs : i > self } ;
       e7: while ( lower_priority /= {} ) {
       e8:   with ( q \in lower_priority ) {
               proc := q ;
             } ;
       e9:   await ~ can_enter_critical_region[proc] ;
             lower_priority := lower_priority \ {proc};
           } ;          
       cs: skip ;
     exit: can_enter_critical_region[self] := FALSE ;
    }
  }
}
*)

MutualExclusion == \A i, j \in Procs : (i /= j) =>  ~ ((pc[i] = "cs") /\ (pc[j] = "cs"))

=============================================================================
```

When removing the label e5, the TLA+ toolbox report a violation of the MutualExclusion invariant. I would expect that the presence of labels did not affect the correctness of invariance properties. Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

The version of the TLA+ Toolbox I am using is 1.7.1.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/9ad59a2b-4a16-4f22-9d38-1101c348ee47n%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/CAFRUCtYMshNkUXAHsJJaYKM83EzC9BDwnwro-yh-zsi6-8P%2Bzw%40mail.gmail.com.