From: tlaplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <tlaplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Lorin Hochstein
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2024 21:03
To: tlaplus <tlaplus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tlaplus] Re: Draft of New TLA Book

You don't often get email from lorinh@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important

Hi Leslie:

I have a question about section 4.2.5.3: Proving Liveness

On page 134, the proof sketches for edge 5 and edge 7 read:

> edge 5 This is an implication since ☐Inv implies that if process 1 is forever at ncs, then x (1) is forever false.

> edge 7 This is an implication, because Inv and pc(1) = w4 imply ¬x (1).

p130 reads:

> We define Inv to equal (4.6), with TypeOK defined by (4.17).

According to (4.6) on p122, this would mean:

Inv == /\ TypeOK

       /\ \A p \in {0,1): /\ (pc(p) \in {w2, cs}) => x(p))

                          /\ (pc(p) = cs) => (pc(1-p)\= cs)

Given the above definition for Inv, I can't see how  ☐Inv could be used to imply  ☐¬x(1), given that the only place that x(p) appears in Inv (other than TypeOK) is in the consequent of an implication. What am I missing here? (Am I using the wrong Inv?)

Take care,

Lorin