[tlaplus] Trying to understand lifting in Isabelle/HOL TLA*

Hello,

I'm trying to use TLA*, a generalization of TLA formalized in Isabelle/HOL (https://www.isa-afp.org/entries/TLA.html). The main confusion, I believe, is how to work with the lifted expressions.

In TLAPS, it is clear how to decompose a proof based on the connectives. But it is unclear to me how to approach the same in TLA*. I took the following as a trivial example:

lemma
    fixes a and b
  assumes a1: "⊢ a"
      and a2: "⊢ b"
    shows "⊢ a ∧ b"
  using a1 a2 by auto

This lemma is proved by auto, but there is no direct rule for that. To understand what's happening here, I tried to decompose the proof into atomic steps:

lemma
    fixes a and b
  assumes a1: "⊢ a"
      and a2: "⊢ b"
    shows "⊢ a ∧ b"
proof
  fix w
  show "w ⊨ a ∧ b"
  proof -
    have "a w" using a1 by rule
    moreover have "b w" using a2 by rule
    ultimately have "a w ∧ b w" by rule
    hence "(∧) (a w) (b w)" by simp
    hence "(lift2 (∧) a b) w" using unl_lift2 by simp
    hence "w ⊨ lift2 (∧) a b" by simp
    thus "w ⊨ a ∧ b" by simp
  qed
qed

Is this reasoning the one (approximately) the auto tactic should be used internally?
I don't know if those steps are atomic. I tried to use rule tactics only but failed to find the actual rules. Maybe it's because a lot is done by macro rewriting. My knowledge here is limited.

Maybe you know of good pointers (apart from the theory document) on how to prove things in this theory? I manage to prove simple invariants with the help of the sledgehammer, but I feel quite lost, only having random events of success.

Karolis