Re: [tlaplus] Proving the absence of refinement and valuables refinements

Hi Samyon,

You have not specified any fairness constraints. If two specs A (abstract) and C (concrete) have no fairness constraints, you can show that C "implements" A by using a trivial refinement mapping that maps all states of C to an initial state of A. This is not useful because we want A to make some progress. If you had composed 2And3counter fairly, then you would have found it harder (impossible?) to show that 2counter implements 2and3counter.

I think that your counter modules are not interacting with an "environment" at the moment. If you can think of some context/environment for them, then "implements" will make more sense: if C implements A then it can act as a substitute for A in the environment.

If you view the FIFO queue in the note abstractly, only in terms of its operations, then the variable op should be external, and the variable queue should be internal. Chapter 5 in Specifying Systems contains a good example demonstrating the concepts of internal/external and implements/refines.

Regards,
Abhishek.