Re: [tlaplus] Re: Checking data type Pluscal

> Is there a built in function to check the type of a variable in Pluscal?

As Andrew and Hillel noted, it does not.

More surprisingly, you cannot implement such a function, since different types like Int and STRING might not be disjoint.

For example, in TLA+ and PlusCal, the _expression_

    1 = "one"

is not necessarily FALSE. It could be TRUE! It is definitely either TRUE or FALSE, but we can't know which one. Lamport calls these "silly" expressions, because the properties we care about should not depend on whether 1 = "one".

For expressions like 1 = "one", TLC does throw an error. This is the most sensible choice, since it would be wrong to return TRUE and it would be wrong to return FALSE---but in some sense, an error is also wrong, since that _expression_ has some definite---but unknowable---boolean value. Notably, there is no TLA+ or PlusCal construct for catching and handling that error. TLC is telling you "I don't know the answer", not "the answer is error", which is a subtle but important distinction.

This was initially very confusing for me, since I come from a programming background. How could 1 = "one" be TRUE? For more info, I highly recommend section 1.1 ("Untypes") of this tech report on The Operators of TLA+:
https://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/SRC-TN-1997-006A.pdf

--
Calvin