[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[tlaplus] Re: Why is TLA_ complaining about this? (

The logical formula in your action property must be true or false of a pair of states. The []F temporal operator is true or false of an infinite series of states.

Andrew

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 3:38:28 PM UTC-4 ns wrote:
If I have a property of the form
    [][A => (p /\  [] (q  =>  r))]_vars                                           (1)
where A is an action and p,q,r are state predicates, I get two complaints:

Level error in applying operator $SquareAct:
The level of argument 1 exceeds the maximum level allowed by the operator.
and
=> has both temporal formula and action as arguments.

If I remove the nested [] then both complaints go away (and TLC is fine with too)
    [][A => (p /\  (q  =>  r))]_vars                                                     (2)
However, even if I replace the A with another state predicate the second complaint still remains. 
Could someone tell me where I'm going wrong. I don't recall seeing any restriction on nesting of temporal operators in the Specifying Systems book but I could have quite easily missed it. Regarding why TLC accepts the second formula (2), I assume its "nice" because its considered a Box-Action formula?

thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tlaplus" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tlaplus+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tlaplus/861a35d0-dc74-43a2-bbb1-c1015063bb0an%40googlegroups.com.