Re: [tlaplus] How to debug unexpected exception when the error call stack is empty?

Thank you so much, Markus! That's exactly what I need. I will have a try!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 8:09 AM Markus Kuppe <tlaplus-google-group@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16.03.21 02:16, myzh...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am using a PlusCal to write a pretty complex spec. I got the following
> exception from the toolbox:
>
> "TLC threw an unexpected exception.
>
> This was probably caused by an error in the spec or model.
>
> See the User Output or TLC Console for clues to what happened.
>
> The exception was a java.lang.RuntimeException:
> util.Assert$TLCRuntimeException: Attempted to compare equality of
> boolean FALSE with non-boolean: ""
>
> The error occurred when TLC was evaluating the nested expressions at the
> following positions: The error call stack is empty."
>
> Since the error call stack is empty and the spec is pretty long (so I
> can't paste it here), it is hard for me to debug by just using print and
> assert.
>
> Any suggestions for debugging this?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Mingyang

Hi Mingyang,

if you are comfortable debugging the TLA+ and not the PlusCal, check out
the error breakpoints [1] of the current TLA+ debugger prototype.
Rewind to the start of the screencast for installation instructions.

Markus

[1] https://youtu.be/6oMQYHogQek?t=777

Thanks,
Mingyang